AMTA was formed as a professional music teachers association to promote excellence in music education through the sharing of resources, curriculum consultation and advice, professional development workshops, and collaborative projects. In 2005, AMTA was named in the Review into School Music Education as an organisation of excellence.
In 2004, AMTA members voted to become an affiliated organisation with NECOM. This is a unique partnership of teachers in the New England region from both public and independent secondary schools, and associated Central schools, with a regional Conservatorium. Currently there are 20 music teachers representing eight secondary schools in the Armidale/New England region.
The role of the partnership between NECOM and AMTA is to:
- provide collegial support for music teachers in schools at all levels through mentoring, sharing of ideas and resources, regular meetings, discussions and other formal and informal activities
- assist NECOM to develop and deliver enhancement activities for primary and secondary music teachers and students in performance, composition and musicology eg HSC Music Workshops, Year 10 Music Day
- encourage, promote and support music education at all levels of learning
- advise and assist NECOM to provide relevant professional development in curriculum and pedagogy for teachers
- liaise with the NESA to offer recommendations and suggestions concerning matters related to music education.
NECOM and AMTA meet twice a term to discuss topics ranging from Musica Viva in Schools program, the Eisteddfod, Composition workshops, HSC Music Workshops and examination needs, NESA curriculum, potential Professional Development courses, teaching resources and ideas, National review into Music education etc.
Income raised from co-presented projects eg HSC Music Workshops, is invested into future curriculum support activities for teachers and students.
AMTA welcomes all music classroom teachers to join the association. For more information please contact:
President Melita Roache: Mobile 0412 640 996
Corinne Arter (NECOM) on Tel: 6788 2139