The Marian Barford Award is to be awarded to a student entering Year 11 & 12 in 2022 and enrolled in instrumental or vocal lessons at the New England Conservatorium of Music.
The Award is named after NECOM’s first string teacher, the late Marian Barford, who sadly passed away after ten years at NECOM in 2015. The Award honours Marian’s hard work, dedication, and commitment to NECOM’s string program, the AYO orchestras, the Armidale Symphony Orchestra, her many string students and the wider community organisations whom Marian generously gave her time to.
The Award consists of a grant of up to $1000.00 to support a student’s continued involvement in musical activities, which serve to facilitate the development of their musical potential.
In order to the be considered for the Award you need to submit an application with a proposal for how you would use the grant money. Some examples include:
- Assistance towards the purchase of a higher quality musical instrument
- Fee assistance for a ‘one-off’ musical activity e.g. National Music Camp or National Choral School.
- Regular accompaniment sessions for HSC or Preliminary course performance exams, or advanced level AMEB exam (e.g. Grade 8 +).
- Support for a short period in a specialist area e.g. composition, advanced musicianship and musicology, performers for HSC ensembles etc.
- Travel and lesson costs associated with trial lessons with tertiary instrumental/vocal staff to assist decisions about where to pursue higher education study.
Applications for the inaugural Marian Barford Award(s) are open from November to January each year. The closing date for applications is Friday February 3 2023, 5pm.
If you would like to donate to the Marian Barford Award, follow the below link and in the message for the organisation box enter ‘Donation for Marian Barford Award’