Restrictions around public gatherings and music performance have seen the cancellation of thousands of public concerts and many music education activities across NSW. The outcome is that countless performing arts companies may collapse and thousands of musicians have lost their livelihood. These restrictions are often confusing and inconsistent across different regions and local government areas in NSW.
Music plays a big part in many people’s lives and it will play a part in the great public health challenge facing us all. Its importance to community health and wellbeing of people of all ages cannot be underestimated.
NSW’s musicians and arts organisations are doing something about this by forming the biggest coalition ever seen in this sector called RIVMEO.
RIVMEO is the Roundtable of Instrumental, Vocal and Music Education Organisations and it will work with the state government to find a way to resume singing, playing, listening and learning music together safely.
NECOM, as part of the Association of NSW Regional Conservatoriums has joined RIVMEO.
As well as representing the concerns of so many people about the effect of the current guidelines and restrictions on music, RIVMEO will explore ways that the music community can play a part in the great public health challenge facing us all, while also returning to the musical activities that sustain the wellbeing of so many people of all ages in NSW.
RIVMEO will meet next week with the NSW Minister for Health, Brad Hazzard and Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant.
RIVMEO is very grateful to have this opportunity, especially given the unimaginable load carried by these public officials in this pandemic. The voice of our music community is being heard. NECOM will keep you posted with updates of RIVMEO’s progress in the coming weeks.
RIVMEO members are:
- Association of NSW Regional Conservatoriums (ANSWRC)
- Australian Band and Orchestra Directors Association (ABODA NSW)
- Australian Music Examinations Board (AMEB NSW)
- Australian National Association of Teacher of Singing (ANATS NSW)
- Australian National Choral Association (ANCA NSW)
- Australian School Band and Orchestra Festival (ASBOF)
- Australian Society for Music Education (ASME NSW)
- Band Association of NSW (BANSW)
- Gondwana Choirs
- Kodály NSW
- Moorambilla Voices
- Musica Viva Australia
- National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians
- Orff NSW
- Pipe Bands NSW
- Sweet Adelines
- Sydney Conservatorium of Music
- Sydney Symphony Orchestra
- Sydney Youth Orchestras